Choosing A Great Brand Name
There’s no doubt that choosing the perfect brand name is one of the most exciting and important elements of starting a business, but it can also be one of the hardest. Get it right and you give your business a great grounding to start with, get it wrong and it could be costly down the line with logo re-makes and customer confusion.
Building a brand and developing a strong brand identity takes time and involves much more than a great tag line and a logo but it’s a fundamental part of starting a business.
Some quick tips:
- Know your audience – your brand name needs to resonate with them, not just be something you like (although that always helps if you truly love something too).
- What are your brand values – what words sum up how you want people to feel and perceive your brand. These should be at the heart of your name and any supporting tag line.
- Keep it simple – don’t over think describing what your do exactly. Your name, logo, brand creative, copy, tone of voice all build the wider picture for your audience. Some of the greatest brands in the world have very short, simple names.
- Check that someone isn’t already using it – Once you have a short list of possible brand names, it is important to check that they are not currently in use. Make sure they aren’t already trademarked by another business and that a suitable domain name is available (this one is super important).
- Test out a shortlist of names – ask friends, family and most importantly your target audience on their preferred option and their reasons.
This is by no means an exhaustive list of what to consider when choosing a brand name but these are what we think are the top variables to consider when choosing your name. Once you’ve got your brand name, why not check out our Brand Courses to further explore what your brand will look and feel like. Or if you need a fabulous logo designing then get in touch.